Wednesday, January 10, 2007

On the power of Imagination

The Baha'i Writings state that imagination is one of the mental properties of the soul. The other powers are thought, understanding and memory. Imagination has always struck me as the odd member of this set. It dawns on me however that without the use of the power of imagination, one's life becomes dull. Reading books (particularly novels), watching movies, playing games, ... all these activities exercise the power of imagination. We call it play or leisure and we think it is less important than work, thought, reasoning. The lack of play seriously diminishes one's quality of life, one's ability to envision a better life, one's ability to create and appreciate beauty. Beauty fires the imagination. I want to be surrounded by beauty. And now I realize why it has always seemed so important to me to spend time away from work. To spend time alone, or with friends, to drink coffee, to go for a walk, basically to rest and give my soul a chance to drink from the fountain of beauty and imagination.

Einstein's words in this regard seem particularly apt:
Imagination is more important than knowledge...

No comments: