Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Weihnachtsmarkt

I never could understand how an economy can grow and shrink if the number of people wanting/able to work is roughly constant. Tonight I had a small insight I thought I'd share.

Have you ever noticed how some cities feel so alive and vibrant while others are calm and quiet? I'm sure you have. Well consider two such cities, each the same size and with the same demographics. The vibrant city would have what we'd call a vibrant economy because people are willing and wanting to go out and do things, whereas the quiet city may have a stagnant economy because there isn't a sense of innovation, of creating something new. Hmmm... this seems to tie into my previous post about imagination. Perhaps economic health is related to a people's capacity to imagine, to have hope and faith in better things and to strive for those things.

No comments: